Amiglyde-V, Amikacin C Injection, Amiject D.
Type of Drug
Form and Storage
Store vials at room temperature.
Indication for Use
Treatment of susceptible bacterial infections not responsive to more commonly used antibiotics.
Amikacin is FDA approved for use in dogs, and is available by prescription. It is used to treat serious gram negative infections that are resistant to other aminoglycosides. A culture and sensitivity test should be performed to verify the need for amikacin due to the seriousness of problems the medication could cause. Aminoglycosides are bacteriocidal.
Usual Dose and Administration
Consult your veterinarian. Amikacin is given subcutaneously (SQ) or intramuscularly (IM).
May see kidney damage, hearing loss, or vestibular (balance) disorders. May also see facial swelling, pain at the injection site, allergic reactions, vomiting, diarrhea, blood disorders, or liver disorders.
Do not use in animals hypersensitive (allergic) to aminoglycosides.
Ineffective against most anaerobic (live without oxygen) bacteria.
Do not use in animals who require their hearing to perform their work (military dogs, police dogs, seeing eye dogs, hearing dogs, etc.), as the hearing or vestibular (balance) impairment may not be reversible.
Do not use in animals with kidney disease, as this group of medications may cause kidney disease or may worsen the disease if present.
Do not use in animals who have heartworm microfilaria (immature heartworms).
Do not use in patients with fever or dehydration.
Not for use in pregnant or nursing animals.
Not for use in animals with myasthenia gravis or other neuromuscular disorders.
Young and old pets are at increased risk of side effects.
Cats are very sensitive to the vestibular effects of aminoglycosides.
Early signs of toxicity include loss of balance and vomiting.
Drug or Food Interactions
Do not use with diuretics, as the combination increases the risk of kidney damage.
Do not use in combination with other aminoglycosides.
Do not use with other products that may cause hearing loss, vestibular disease, or kidney disease.
No known food interactions.
Early signs of toxicity include loss of balance and vomiting. May see symptoms of kidney disease including increase or decrease in drinking, lack of appetite, vomiting, depression, coma, and death.