Pimobendan (Vetmedin)
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith

Pimobendan (Vetmedin) increases the heart's ability to pump blood. It is used to treat certain types of congestive heart failure in dogs due to mitral valve insufficiency or dilated cardiomyopathy. Side effects and signs of toxicity/overdose may include poor appetite, lethargy, diarrhea, labored breathing, weakness, incoordination, fainting, accumulation of fluid in the lungs or abdomen, and cough. If you know or suspect your pet has had an overdose, or if you observe any of these signs in your pet, contact your veterinarian immediately. Use with extreme caution in animals prone to cardiac arrhythmias. The safety of the drug has not been evaluated in breeding, pregnant or lactating animals (female animals nursing their young).
   Click here for the web viewable version of this article.

Click here to email this article to a friend.



Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.


If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($35.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.


Copyright © 1997-2014, Foster & Smith, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Reprinted from PetEducation.com.