Amitraz Dip (Mitaban)
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith

Amitraz dip is used in dogs for the treatment of generalized demodicosis, an infestation with the mite Demodex canis. It has also been used to treat mange in some other species of animals. Dips are generally repeated every 14 days for 3-6 treatments. It will be necessary for your veterinarian to perform several skin scrapings during the course of therapy to determine how many treatments your pet will need. Wear eye protection when using amitraz and protect exposed skin with rubber gloves. Wash hands and arms with soap and water after treating pets. Use in a well-ventilated area and avoid inhalation of vapors. The most common side effect in pets is sedation, which may last up to 72 hours. May also see incoordination, slow heart rate, vomiting, diarrhea, and low body temperature. Consult your veterinarian if you notice any of these side effects.
   Click here for the web viewable version of this article.

Click here to email this article to a friend.

Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.

If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center - 24-hour service available throughout North America.

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($59.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.

Updated 6/20/17

Copyright © 1997-2017, Foster & Smith, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Reprinted from