Methotrexate (Rheumatrex®)
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith

Methotrexate is an antineoplastic drug that is used to treat certain types of lymphoma (a type of cancer) and tumors. It works by slowing the growth of cells that multiply rapidly. Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences diarrhea, vomiting, sores in the mouth, pale gums, dark or tarry stools, bleeding tendencies, increased thirst or urination, jaundice (yellowing of the gums, skin, or whites of the eyes), difficulty breathing, or hair loss while being treated with methotrexate. CAUTION: Wear gloves when handling methotrexate and giving it to your pet. Wash your hands well, afterward. Women of child-bearing age need to know that methotrexate can cause birth defects and harm a fetus.

   Click here for the web viewable version of this article.

Click here to email this article to a friend.



Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.


If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center - 24-hour service available throughout North America.
www.aspca.org/apcc

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($59.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.

Updated 6/20/17


Copyright © 1997-2017, Foster & Smith, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Reprinted from PetEducation.com.