Amikacin (Amiglyde-V, Amikacin C Injection, Amiject D)
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith


Amikacin is an antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections not responsive to more commonly used antibiotics. It can cause loss of hearing and balance, and kidney damage. It is given by injection. Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences loss of balance, vomiting, lack of appetite, depression, or changes in drinking and urination while under treatment with amikacin.

Generic Name

Brand Name
Amiglyde-V, Amikacin C Injection, Amiject D.

Type of Drug
Aminoglycoside antibiotic

Form and Storage
Store vials at room temperature.

Indication for Use
Treatment of susceptible bacterial infections not responsive to more commonly used antibiotics.

General Information
Amikacin is FDA approved for use in dogs, and is available by prescription. It is used to treat serious gram negative infections that are resistant to other aminoglycosides. A culture and sensitivity test should be performed to verify the need for amikacin due to the seriousness of problems the medication could cause. Aminoglycosides are bacteriocidal.

Usual Dose and Administration
Consult your veterinarian. Amikacin is given subcutaneously (SQ) or intramuscularly (IM).

Side Effects
May see kidney damage, hearing loss, or vestibular (balance) disorders. May also see facial swelling, pain at the injection site, allergic reactions, vomiting, diarrhea, blood disorders, or liver disorders.

Do not use in animals hypersensitive (allergic) to aminoglycosides.

Ineffective against most anaerobic (live without oxygen) bacteria.

Do not use in animals who require their hearing to perform their work (military dogs, police dogs, seeing eye dogs, hearing dogs, etc.), as the hearing or vestibular (balance) impairment may not be reversible.

Do not use in animals with kidney disease, as this group of medications may cause kidney disease or may worsen the disease if present.

Do not use in animals who have heartworm microfilaria (immature heartworms).

Do not use in patients with fever or dehydration.

Not for use in pregnant or nursing animals.

Not for use in animals with myasthenia gravis or other neuromuscular disorders.

Young and old pets are at increased risk of side effects.

Cats are very sensitive to the vestibular effects of aminoglycosides.

Early signs of toxicity include loss of balance and vomiting.

Drug or Food Interactions
Do not use with diuretics, as the combination increases the risk of kidney damage.

Do not use in combination with other aminoglycosides.

Do not use with other products that may cause hearing loss, vestibular disease, or kidney disease.

No known food interactions.

Early signs of toxicity include loss of balance and vomiting. May see symptoms of kidney disease including increase or decrease in drinking, lack of appetite, vomiting, depression, coma, and death.

   Click here for the web viewable version of this article.

Click here to email this article to a friend.

Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.

If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center - 24-hour service available throughout North America.

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($59.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.

Updated 6/20/17

Copyright © 1997-2017, Foster & Smith, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Reprinted from