Pine Oil Poisoning in Dogs and Cats
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith

Toxin
Pine Oils

Source
Sanitizers and disinfectants.

General Information
Pine oils are irritating to mucous membranes. They are also readily absorbed from the GI tract resulting in severe GI signs such as vomiting and diarrhea. The kidneys and central nervous system (CNS) are also affected. Cats, birds, and some reptiles appear to be more susceptible to toxicity than other species.

Toxic Dose
0.5-1.1 ml per pound of body weight; lower amounts may cause severe damage.

Signs
The odor of pine oils is often present. Also see irritation to the inside of the mouth, retching, vomiting, drooling, abdominal pain, increased body temperature, progressive CNS signs including weakness, ataxia, and coma. Pulmonary damage may result from aspiration or chemical pneumonia from absorption of pine oil from the GI tract and subsequent deposition in the lungs. Ocular exposure will cause eye pain, holding the eye closed, and tearing.

Immediate Action
Give water, milk, or egg whites. DO NOT induce vomiting as aspiration may result due to rapid onset of CNS signs. If ocular exposure has occurred, rinse eyes with sterile saline or water for 30 minutes. In cases of dermal (skin) exposure, bathe and rinse thoroughly. Seek veterinary attention.

Veterinary Care
General treatment: Milk, water, or egg whites are administered followed by activated charcoal. If ocular exposure has occurred, eyes will be flushed with sterile saline for 30 minutes. If dermal exposure occurred, the animal will be thoroughly bathed and rinsed well.

Supportive treatment: IV fluids are administered to maintain hydration and electrolyte balances. The animal is monitored and treated for hyperthermia and pneumonia if necessary.

Specific treatment: Unavailable.

Prognosis
Guarded

   Click here for the web viewable version of this article.

Click here to email this article to a friend.



Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.


If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center - 24-hour service available throughout North America.
www.aspca.org/apcc

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($59.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.

Updated 6/20/17


Copyright © 1997-2017, Foster & Smith, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Reprinted from PetEducation.com.