Rat Poison Ingestion in Dogs and Cats: Bromethalin Types
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith

Toxin
Bromethalin

Source
Rodenticide baits such as Assault, Vengeance, and Trounce.

General Information
Bromethalin works by affecting the permeability of the cell membranes resulting in the cell swelling and losing function. Signs are related to central nervous system (CNS) dysfunction. Signs may appear within 10 hours to several days after exposure and may last up to 12 days. Bromethalin poisoning should be considered whenever acute signs of cerebral edema or paresis or paralysis of the hind limbs are seen. Death is usually caused by respiratory paralysis. Death may occur with high or low doses.

Toxic Dose
Dogs: 2 mg per pound of body weight.

Cats: Less than 1 mg per pound of body weight.

Signs
Acute high dose exposure results in symptoms within several hours. These include hyperexcitability, tremors, hyperreflexia (exaggerated reflexes) of the hindlimbs, focal or generalized seizures, and death.

Lower doses produce effects in several days. These include depression, lack of appetite, vomiting, tremors, paresis of one or more limbs, paralysis, lateral recumbancy, and death.

Other symptoms include extensor rigidity, Schiff-Sherrington posture, pinpoint pupils, and anisocoria.

Cats may also show signs including depression, ataxia, progressive motor dysfunction to paralysis, abdominal swelling, convulsions, and death.

Immediate Action
Induce vomiting if ingestion was within the last 60 minutes and the patient is not showing any symptoms. Seek veterinary attention.

Veterinary Care
General treatment: The induction of vomiting may be continued, gastric lavage is performed, and activated charcoal is administered.

Supportive treatment: The animal is monitored and treated for cerebral edema. IV fluids are administered with careful monitoring so as not to worsen cerebral edema. Seizures, if present, are treated with anticonvulsants.

Specific treatment: Unavailable.

Prognosis
Guarded to grave.

 

   Click here for the web viewable version of this article.

Click here to email this article to a friend.



Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.


If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center - 24-hour service available throughout North America.
www.aspca.org/apcc

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($59.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.

Updated 6/20/17


Copyright © 1997-2017, Foster & Smith, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Reprinted from PetEducation.com.