Fentanyl Patch (Duragesic®)
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith

Fentanyl is a narcotic used for pain relief. It is impregnated in patches that are placed on the skin, and the drug is absorbed into the body. Responses of animals to the fentanyl patches can be extremely variable. Consult your veterinarian if your pet experiences a decreased rate of breathing or pulse while being treated with a fentanyl patch. Keep the patch out of the reach of children and pets. Application of the patch to children can cause an overdose and death. If a child comes in contact with a patch, contact your physician immediately.

   Click here for the web viewable version of this article.

Click here to email this article to a friend.



Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.


If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($35.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.


Copyright © 1997-2014, Foster & Smith, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Reprinted from PetEducation.com.