Ketoconazole (Nizoral®)
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith

Ketoconazole is an antifungal medication used for the treatment of serious, deep fungal infections, such as blastomycosis, histoplasmosis, aspergillosis, and cryptococcosis in dogs, cats, and other pets. It may also be used against some yeast and dermatophyte (ringworm) infections. It has also been used to treat Cushing's disease (hyperadrenocorticism) in dogs. Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, liver toxicity (jaundice - yellowing of gums, skin, or eyes) or bleeding problems while being treated with ketoconazole. Itraconazole, a similar medication, generally produces fewer side effects although it is more expensive.

   Click here for the web viewable version of this article.

Click here to email this article to a friend.



Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.


If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($35.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.


Copyright © 1997-2014, Foster & Smith, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Reprinted from PetEducation.com.