Mitotane (o,p-DDD, Lysodren®)
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith

Mitotane is used to treat Cushing's disease (hyperadrenocorticism). This condition generally requires life time treatment. Mitotane is a very toxic drug; wash hands thoroughly after handling. Pregnant women or women trying to get pregnant should NOT handle this medication. Consult your veterinarian if your pet experiences loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, depression, or incoordination while being treated with mitotane.

   Click here for the web viewable version of this article.

Click here to email this article to a friend.



Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.


If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($35.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.


Copyright © 1997-2014, Foster & Smith, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Reprinted from PetEducation.com.