Insulin (Humulin, Iletin, Ultralente, NPH, Lente, and PZI)
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith

Insulin is used in the treatment of diabetes mellitus. It comes in various forms and strengths, with corresponding syringes for each strength. The proper dose of insulin must be determined through monitoring blood glucose. The amount and time of insulin administration, the type of food, feeding time, and exercise must be consistent every day. An overdose of insulin can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), with symptoms of weakness, trembling, unresponsiveness, seizures, coma, and death. If your pet experiences hypoglycemia, contact your veterinarian and feed the pet a normal meal, a sugary food, or place a small amount of sugar water or maple/Karo® syrup on the gums.

   Click here for the web viewable version of this article.

Click here to email this article to a friend.



Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.


If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($35.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.


Copyright © 1997-2014, Foster & Smith, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Reprinted from PetEducation.com.