Rotenone (Goodwinol Ointment)
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith

Summary

Goodwinol ointment is used to treat localized demodectic mange in dogs. Do NOT use Goodwinol ointment on cats. Rotenone shampoo can be used to control mites on dogs and cats, but alternative methods of treatment are often used. Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, changes in breathing rate, muscle twitching, seizures, or coma while being treated with a rotenone-containing compound.

Generic Name
Rotenone

Brand Name
Goodwinol ointment, Rotenone shampoo

Type of Drug
Parasiticide

Form and Storage
Ointment and shampoo
Store at room temperature.

Indication for Use
Goodwinol ointment: Treatment of localized (only small area affected) demodectic mange (mites) in dogs.
Shampoo: Control of mites in dogs and cats.

General Information
Goodwinol is EPA approved for use in dogs. Rotenone shampoo is EPA approved for use in dogs and cats. Rotenone comes from the root of the derris plant. It is used in the treatment and prevention of external parasites on pets.

Usual Dose and Administration
Goodwinol ointment: Dogs: Apply once every 24 hours. Massage in until absorbed. Do NOT use in cats. Duration of treatment depends on reason for treatment and response to treatment.

Rotenone shampoo: Dogs and Cats: Wet hair, apply 1-2 ounces of shampoo, lather well, leave on for 10 minutes, and rinse thoroughly. Repeat weekly as needed.

Side Effects
Skin irritation.

Contraindications/Warnings
Do not use in animals hypersensitive (allergic) to the medication.

Avoid getting in eyes.

Do not use Goodwinol in cats.

For external use only.

May be safe to use on pregnant animals, but do not use on nursing puppies or kittens.

Drug Interactions
Do not use with other pesticides or topical treatments.

Overdose/Toxicity
May see drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, increase then decrease in breathing rate, muscle twitching, seizures, coma, and death.

 
   Click here for the web viewable version of this article.

Click here to email this article to a friend.



Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.


If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($35.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.


Copyright © 1997-2014, Foster & Smith, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Reprinted from PetEducation.com.