Mannitol
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith

Summary

Mannitol is an injectable medication used in dogs, cats, and other pets to rid the body of excess fluid, especially in the brain and eyes.

Generic Name
Mannitol

Brand Name
None

Type of Drug
Osmotic diuretic

Form and Storage
Injectable
Store at room temperature.

Indications for Use
Used to promote diuresis (higher urine production) in acute oliguric kidney failure (no urine is being produced), to decrease pressure in the eyes (as in glaucoma), or on the brain, to increase the excretion of some toxins through the kidneys, or to rapidly reduce edema (swelling) or ascites.

General Information
Not FDA approved for use in dogs and cats, but it is a common and accepted practice to use mannitol in veterinary medicine. Mannitol is available by prescription and is usually used in a hospital setting. Mannitol is excreted through the kidneys where it does not allow water or certain electrolytes (e.g., sodium, potassium, or calcium) to be resorbed as readily, causing the body to produce more urine.

Usual Dose and Administration
Varies on condition. Please contact your veterinarian.

Side Effects
Fluid loss (dehydration) and electrolyte imbalances (e.g., abnormally low or high levels of potassium, sodium, or calcium in the blood) are the most commonly seen adverse effects. Other less commonly seen effects are nausea, vomiting, pulmonary edema, dizziness, headache, and heart disorders.

Contraindications/Warnings
Do not use in patients with anuria (inability to produce urine) due to kidney disease.

Do not use in patients who suffer from severe dehydration, bleeding in the brain, or certain lung diseases.

The patient must have some kidney function with urine output for this drug to work and to be used.

Close monitoring is essential.

Drug or Food Interactions
Mannitol may increase the kidney excretion of lithium.

Use of mannitol concurrently with blood products requires certain precautions to prevent agglutination of the blood.

No known food interactions.

Overdose/Toxicity
In an overdose, excessive excretion of sodium, potassium, and chloride in the urine may cause fluid buildup in the lungs.

 
   Click here for the web viewable version of this article.

Click here to email this article to a friend.



Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.


If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($35.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.


Copyright © 1997-2014, Foster & Smith, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Reprinted from PetEducation.com.