Lactulose (Enulose, Cephulac)
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith

Lactulose is a medication that is used as a stool softener to treat constipation in dogs and cats. It is used commonly in cats with megacolon. It may also be used in the treatment of liver disease in small pets and birds to help reduce ammonia that can build up in the blood due to liver disease. Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences diarrhea, increased gas, distention of the stomach (animal appears bloated), or stomach cramping while being treated with lactulose. To prevent dehydration, make sure your pet has plenty of clean water to drink while being treated with lactulose.

   Click here for the web viewable version of this article.

Click here to email this article to a friend.

Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.

If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($35.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.

Copyright © 1997-2016, Foster & Smith, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Reprinted from