Primidone (Neurosyn™)
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith

Primidone is an antiseizure medication used in dogs and cats. (Epilepsy can NOT be cured, only controlled.) Blood tests are used to monitor the level of the drug in the blood and adjust dosage. Do NOT miss a dose. Missing a dose could cause a seizure. It is used less commonly than other anticonvulsants because it must be given three times a day, is poorly absorbed from the intestines, and causes a greater incidence of liver toxicity. Consult your veterinarian if your pet experiences changes in eating, drinking, behavior, or develops jaundice (e.g., yellowing of the gums, skin, or whites of the eyes) while being treated with primidone.

   Click here for the web viewable version of this article.

Click here to email this article to a friend.



Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.


If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($35.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.


Copyright © 1997-2014, Foster & Smith, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Reprinted from PetEducation.com.