Diphenhydramine (Benadryl®)
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith

Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine. It is used for the treatment of allergies and atopy, primarily to stop itching in dogs, cats, and other pets. (Atopy is an allergy to something that is inhaled, such as pollen or house dust; also called 'inhalant allergy.') It may also be used to control vomiting and motion sickness, as a mild sedative, and to treat muscle tremors due to certain toxins or medications. Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences sleepiness, agitation, a rapid heart beat, depressed respiration, an inability to urinate, vomiting, diarrhea, or loss of appetite while being treated with diphenhydramine.

   Click here for the web viewable version of this article.

Click here to email this article to a friend.



Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.


If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($35.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.


Copyright © 1997-2014, Foster & Smith, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Reprinted from PetEducation.com.