Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith

Tetracycline is an antibiotic used in dogs, cats, and other pets to treat infections with bacteria, mycoplasma, rickettsia (e.g., Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever), spirochetes (e.g., leptospirosis), and Chlamydophila (e.g., psittacosis). Use with extreme caution in pregnant, lactating (nursing), and young animals. Consult with your veterinarian if your pet experiences loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst or urination, or skin rashes while being treated with tetracycline.

   Click here for the web viewable version of this article.

Click here to email this article to a friend.

Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.

If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center - 24-hour service available throughout North America.

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($59.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.

Updated 6/20/17

Copyright © 1997-2017, Foster & Smith, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Reprinted from PetEducation.com.