Sulfadimethoxine (Albon®)
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith

Sulfadimethoxine is an antibiotic and also used to treat coccidial infections in dogs, cats, and many other species. Consult your veterinarian if your pet experiences discharge from the eye, redness of the eye, other symptoms related to the eye, pale gums, bleeding tendencies, vomiting, diarrhea, joint pain, increased thirst, or skin rashes while being treated with sulfadimethoxine. The pet should be encouraged to drink a lot of water while being treated with sulfadimethoxine to prevent crystals from forming in the urine. Use all of the medication prescribed, or the infection is likely to recur or become worse.

   Click here for the web viewable version of this article.

Click here to email this article to a friend.



Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.


If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($35.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.


Copyright © 1997-2014, Foster & Smith, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Reprinted from PetEducation.com.