Pet Education Dogs
Pet Education Dogs Pet Education Dogs Pet Education Dogs

Learn about Vetco
Dog Food Cat Food New Brands - Healthy Choices Just Added!
Free Shipping on orders over $49
Video Center
Isopropyl Alcohol (Isopropanol) Poisoning in Dogs and Cats
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith
Print Article | Email Article
Bookmark and Share
Click here for a pdf version of this article. 

Isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol)

Isopropyl alcohol is found in skin lotions, after-shave lotions, perfumes, colognes, cleaning solvents, window cleaners, and sanitizers.

General Information
Isopropanol is a potent nervous system depressant. It is more toxic than ethanol. Toxicity can result from breathing of the vapors or from ingestion.

Toxic Dose
Symptoms can be seen after ingestion of less than 1.3 ml per pound of body weight.

Vomiting with or without blood, retching, abdominal pain, central nervous system (CNS) depression, decreased respiratory rate, and coma. The pet will appear drunk and the breath often has an alcohol odor.

Immediate Action
Vomiting may be contraindicated due to rapid onset of CNS depression. Seek veterinary attention.

Veterinary Care
General treatment: Gastric lavage is performed and activated charcoal is administered.

Supportive treatment: IV fluids and oxygen are administered while blood gases and urine output are monitored. Other abnormalities are treated. Hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis may be beneficial, but typically are not needed, as most patients can be treated successfully with supportive care.

Specific treatment: Unavailable.



Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.

If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center - 24-hour service available throughout North America.

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($59.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.

Updated 6/20/17

Click here for a pdf version of this article.   
Print Article | Email Article