Pet Education Dogs
Pet Education Dogs Pet Education Dogs Pet Education Dogs

Pet Pharmacy & Pet Meds
Free Shipping on orders over $49
Video Center
Register your shelter with Paws for a Cause at DrsFosterSmith.com
Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs and Cats
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith
First Aid, Emergencies, & Poisons
Print Article | Email Article
Bookmark and Share
Click here for a pdf version of this article.  See related products at DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Supplies

Toxin
Ibotenic acid, indoles, muscimol, gyromitrin, amanitin, phalloidin, psilocybin, or psilocyn.

Source
Mushrooms including Amantia phalloides (death angel), A. virosa (destroying angel), A. muscaria (fly agaric), some Boletus spp., Chlorophyllum molybdites (backyard mushrooms), some Clitocybe spp., Cortinarius spp., Galerina spp., Gyromita spp. (false morels), Inocybe spp., and some Psilocybe spp. ('magic mushroom').

General Information
The kind of toxin in mushrooms vary with species. Some cause CNS effects including hallucinations, hyperactivity, and coma. Others damage the liver, heart, or kidneys causing death. Clinical signs usually occur within 6-8 hours following ingestion. Mushrooms grow in the wild in most areas, and pets need to be closely supervised to prevent ingestion, if access to the mushrooms cannot be prevented.

Toxic Dose
Varies with the species of the mushroom.

Signs
Abdominal pain, ataxia, coma, depression, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, hallucinations, hyperthermia, tearing, urination, drooling, defecation, seizures, liver failure, kidney failure, and death.

Immediate Action
Induce vomiting if the patient is alert. Seek veterinary attention.

Veterinary Care
General treatment: The induction of vomiting may be continued, gastric lavage performed, and activated charcoal administered.

Supportive treatment: The animal will be monitored and treated for seizures and hyperthermia. The liver and kidney function will also be monitored and treated as needed.

Specific treatment: Unavailable.

Prognosis
Varies with the species ingested, the toxic effects, and the amount ingested.

 

Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.


If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($35.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.


Click here for a pdf version of this article.  See related products at DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Supplies  
Print Article | Email Article
 
 
Drs. Foster & Smith PRO-Wormer-2®
Drs. Foster & Smith PRO-Wormer-2®
As low as $7.79
 
Nemex-2 Wormer
Nemex-2 Wormer
As low as $9.99
 
Safe-Guard® Dewormer Granules
Safe-Guard® Dewormer Granules
As low as $4.99
 
Terramycin Antibiotic Ophthalmic Ointment
Terramycin Antibiotic Ophthalmic Ointment
As low as $12.99
 

Facebook YouTube Blog Connect with us

Subscribe to email newsletters:
featuring helpful articles, tips and online only product specials from Drs. Foster & Smith. Learn more here !

About Us Article Reprints Awards & Memberships Request a FREE Catalog Tell a Friend
Meet Our Staff Terms & Use Site Map Free Newsletters Links to Us
Visit our other websites: Doctors Foster and Smith Pet Supplies LiveAquaria.com - Quality Aquatic Life Direct to Your Door
For product information, call 1-800-826-7206

Copyright © 1997-2013, Foster and Smith, Inc. - 2253 Air Park Road, P.O. Box 100, Rhinelander, Wisconsin, 54501. All rights reserved.