Thought to be due to an unknown compound in the "fleshy" part of the grape. There have been no problems associated with grape seed extract.
Grapes and raisins.
Many dogs like raisins and grapes. They should only be given in a very limited amount on an infrequent basis, and should not be left where a dog or cat can have access to them. The unknown toxin damages the kidneys.
Exact toxic dose is unknown, but has been estimated as low as 1/3 ounce of grapes per pound of body weight, and 0.05 ounces of raisins per pound of body weight.
Vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, lethargy, or abdominal pain.
Induce vomiting and seek veterinary attention.
General treatment: The induction of vomiting may be continued, gastric lavage is performed, and activated charcoal administered, if needed.
Supportive treatment: The animal will be monitored and treated for kidney disease/failure with fluids, diet change, and medications.
Specific treatment: Unavailable.