Acids such as hydrochloric (Muriatic) acid, sulfuric acid, nitric acid, and phosphoric acid.
Products such as pool chemicals, cleansers, toilet bowl cleaners, anti-rust compounds, gun barrel cleaning fluids, and automobile batteries.
Acids produce corrosive burns. Acid burns do not tend to penetrate as deeply as alkali burns.
Dependent upon the type and concentration of the acid
If ingested, ulcers in the mouth, larynx, and esophagus, drooling, lack of appetite, vomiting, laryngeal edema with difficulty breathing, pain, panting, and shock may be seen. If contact was with the eyes, the pet will be in intense pain and hold the eyes closed.
For oral exposures, DO NOT induce vomiting. Give water or milk. Seek veterinary attention immediately. If ocular exposure has occurred, flush eyes with water or sterile saline for 30 minutes. If the toxicity is due to dermal (skin) exposure, the area should be flushed with running water for 30 minutes. Rubber gloves should be worn to prevent human exposure. Seek veterinary attention while decontaminating the pet.
General treatment: For oral exposure, water or milk may continue to be given. Activated charcoal is ineffective. If dermal or ocular exposure occurred, the affected areas will continue to be flushed with sterile saline.
Supportive treatment: Pain medication, IV fluids, and oxygen are given. Corticosteroids are used to help reduce stricture of ulcers especially in the esophagus. Antibiotics are started to reduce the risk of secondary infections. Placement of a feeding tube may be necessary in severe cases. Food is withheld until the extent of injury is known. Endoscopy is recommended to determine the extent of the injuries.
Specific treatment: Unavailable.