Pet Education Cats
Pet Education Cats Pet Education Cats Pet Education Cats

Learn about Vetco
Dog Food Cat Food New Brands - Healthy Choices Just Added!
Free Shipping on orders over $49
Video Center
Amitraz Toxicity in Dogs and Cats
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith
Print Article | Email Article
Bookmark and Share
Click here for a pdf version of this article. 


Mitaban Liquid Concentrate, and Preventic Tick Collars for Dogs.

General Information
Amitraz kills mites and ticks by interfering with their nervous system. It will also affect the nervous system of dogs if overdosed. DO NOT use Amitraz on cats. Amitraz is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI). Do not mix with other pesticides or other medications that affect the nervous system. Severe toxicity may occur if amitraz-containing collars are ingested.

Toxic Dose
Varies depending on the individual dog's sensitivity.

Common side effects of the medication include sedation and a dry skin and haircoat. Serious side effects include low blood pressure, decreased body temperature, elevation of blood glucose, dilated pupils, slow heart rate, slowed intestinal rate, ataxia, prolonged sedation, vasoconstriction, vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures. Death may occur.

Immediate Action
Contact your veterinarian. Remove the Preventic Tick Collar or other source. If exposure was from a dip, bathe and rinse the animal thoroughly. Dry to prevent chilling. If the pet ingested all or part of an amitraz-containing collar, induce vomiting.

Veterinary Care
General treatment: For oral exposure, the induction of vomiting may be continued, gastric lavage is performed. In cases of dermal exposure, bathing and rinsing is continued.

Supportive treatment: IV fluids may be given. Appropriate measures are taken to maintain the body temperature. The blood glucose level, blood pressure, and heart rate are monitored.

Specific treatment: Yohimbine may help reverse some of the toxic effects.

Fair to poor, depending on symptoms.


Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.

If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center - 24-hour service available throughout North America.

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($59.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.

Updated 6/20/17

Click here for a pdf version of this article.   
Print Article | Email Article