Ibotenic acid, indoles, muscimol, gyromitrin, amanitin, phalloidin, psilocybin, or psilocyn.
Mushrooms including Amantia phalloides (death angel), A. virosa (destroying angel), A. muscaria (fly agaric), some Boletus spp., Chlorophyllum molybdites (backyard mushrooms), some Clitocybe spp., Cortinarius spp., Galerina spp., Gyromita spp. (false morels), Inocybe spp., and some Psilocybe spp. ('magic mushroom').
The kind of toxin in mushrooms vary with species. Some cause CNS effects including hallucinations, hyperactivity, and coma. Others damage the liver, heart, or kidneys causing death. Clinical signs usually occur within 6-8 hours following ingestion. Mushrooms grow in the wild in most areas, and pets need to be closely supervised to prevent ingestion, if access to the mushrooms cannot be prevented.
Varies with the species of the mushroom.
Abdominal pain, ataxia, coma, depression, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, hallucinations, hyperthermia, tearing, urination, drooling, defecation, seizures, liver failure, kidney failure, and death.
Induce vomiting if the patient is alert. Seek veterinary attention.
General treatment: The induction of vomiting may be continued, gastric lavage performed, and activated charcoal administered.
Supportive treatment: The animal will be monitored and treated for seizures and hyperthermia. The liver and kidney function will also be monitored and treated as needed.
Specific treatment: Unavailable.
Varies with the species ingested, the toxic effects, and the amount ingested.