Zoonoses are diseases that can be spread from animals to people. Keeping your pets healthy, using common sense, and good hygiene can eliminate any potential problems. Take this true or false quiz to check your facts on common zoonoses.
(Answers are provided at the bottom of the page.)
- Puppies can be born with roundworms and the roundworm eggs can ultimately cause disease in people.
- Ringworm is actually a fungus that can be spread to people from dogs, cats, rabbits, ferrets, guinea pigs, and other animals.
- It is illegal to sell turtles less than 4 inches in length because of the risk of Salmonella.
- Birds with psittacosis may not show signs of illness, but could still pass the disease onto humans.
- Cheyletiella mites cause a condition called "walking dandruff" and these mites can cause an itchy skin condition in people.
- Ferrets can be infected with the same influenza viruses as people.
- Fleas can bite people as well as animals.
- Aquarium and pond water can be the source of bacterial infections for people.
- All dogs, cats and ferrets should be vaccinated against rabies.
- Cat scratch disease is a bacterial infection that can be transmitted through bites or scratches from cats.