Pet Education
Pet Education Pet Education Pet Education

Learn about Vetco
Free Shipping on orders over $49
Milbemycin Oxime (Interceptor®, Sentinel Spectrum®, Sentinel®
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith
Wormers & Anti-parasitics
Print Article | Email Article
Bookmark and Share
Click here for a pdf version of this article. 
click here for drug information 

Milbemycin is an oral medication used as a wormer and heartworm preventive. Doses vary widely depending upon the condition being treated. Do NOT use in doses higher than the recommended heartworm prevention dose, except under veterinary supervision. Studies support the safety of milbemycin products in Collies and other breeds when used at the recommended heartworm prevention dose. For heartworm prevention, follow the testing and dosing schedule recommended by your veterinarian for your geographical area. Side effects are rarely seen but may include depression, lethargy, vomiting, staggering, loss of appetite, diarrhea, seizures, weakness, or excessive salivation. In addition to medications, reducing exposure to mosquitoes will reduce the risk of heartworm infection. The elimination of other parasites must also include sanitation and prevention measures to ensure the pet does not become reinfected.

Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.

If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center - 24-hour service available throughout North America.

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($59.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.

Updated 6/20/17

Click here for a pdf version of this article. 
Print Article | Email Article