Pet Education
Pet Education Pet Education Pet Education

Learn about Vetco
Free Shipping on orders over $49
Sulfadimethoxine/Ormetoprim (Primor®)
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith
Print Article | Email Article
Bookmark and Share
Click here for a pdf version of this article. 
click here for drug information 

Sulfadimethoxine/ormetoprim is a potentiated sulfa drug used to treat infected wounds and susceptible bacterial infections of the skin and urinary tract in dogs. Consult your veterinarian if your dogt experiences discharge from the eye, redness of the eye, other symptoms related to the eye, pale gums, bleeding tendencies, vomiting, diarrhea, joint pain, increased thirst, skin rashes, facial swelling, staggering, or behavior changes while being treated with sulfadimethoxine. The dog should be encouraged to drink a lot of water while being treated with sulfadimethoxine to prevent crystals from forming in the urine. Use all of the medication prescribed, or the infection is likely to recur or become worse.

Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.

If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center - 24-hour service available throughout North America.

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($59.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.

Updated 6/20/17

Click here for a pdf version of this article. 
Print Article | Email Article