Pet Education
Pet Education Pet Education Pet Education

Learn about Vetco
Free Shipping on orders over $49
Amoxicillin/Clavulanate (Clavamox®, Augmentin®)
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith
Antibiotics
Print Article | Email Article
Bookmark and Share
Click here for a pdf version of this article. 
click here for drug information 

Amoxicillin is an antibiotic, and a type of penicillin used to treat dogs, cats, and other pets. Potassium clavulanate increases its effectiveness against certain types of bacteria. The combination, called a potentiated penicillin, is used to treat susceptible bacterial infections in many species. Do NOT use amoxicillin/clavulanate in rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas, or hamsters since it will affect the normal bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract and possibly cause a fatal diarrhea. Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences vomiting, diarrhea, or incoordination while being treated with amoxicillin/clavulanate.


Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.


If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center - 24-hour service available throughout North America.
www.aspca.org/apcc

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($59.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.

Updated 6/20/17


Click here for a pdf version of this article. 
Print Article | Email Article