Pet Education
Pet Education Pet Education Pet Education

Learn about Vetco
Free Shipping on orders over $49
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith
Print Article | Email Article
Bookmark and Share
Click here for a pdf version of this article. 


Gentamicin is an injectable antibiotic used to treat more resistant bacterial infections in dogs, cats, and other pets. It can be toxic to the ears, vestibular system (balance), and kidneys.

Generic Name

Brand Name
Gentaject, Gentaved, and Gentocin

Type of Drug
Aminoglycoside antibiotic

Form and Storage
Store at room temperature.

Indications for Use
Treatment of susceptible bacterial infections.

General Information
Available by prescription. FDA approved for use in dogs and cats. Aminoglycosides are bacteriocidal. Usually given in a hospital setting as it is an injection. Used to treat infections with gram negative aerobic bacteria. Use with care as bacterial resistance to gentamicin is developing.

Usual Dose and Administration
Always follow the dosage instructions provided by your veterinarian.

Intravenous (IV), intramuscular (IM), or subcutaneous (SQ) injection. Duration of treatment depends on reason for and response to treatment.

Side Effects and Adverse Reactions
May see kidney damage, hearing loss, or vestibular (balance) disorders. May also see facial swelling, pain at injection site, allergic reactions, vomiting, diarrhea, blood disorders, or liver disorders.

Do not use in animals hypersensitive (allergic) to aminoglycosides.

Ineffective against most anaerobic bacteria (those that can live without oxygen).

Do not use in animals who require their hearing to perform their work (military dogs, police dogs, seeing eye dogs, hearing dogs, etc.) as the hearing or vestibular (balance) impairment may not be reversible.

Do not use in animals with kidney disease as this group of medications may worsen the disease if present.

Not for use in pregnant or nursing animals.

Not for use in animals with myasthenia gravis or other neuromuscular disorders.

Not for use in animals with fever or dehydration.

Drug or Food Interactions
Do not use with diuretics as it increases the risk of kidney damage.

Do not use in combination with other aminoglycosides.

Do not use with other products that may cause hearing loss, vestibular disease, or kidney disease.

Do not use with general anesthetics.

No known food interactions.

Early signs of toxicity include loss of hearing and balance or vomiting. May see symptoms of kidney disease including increase or decrease in drinking, lack of appetite, vomiting, depression, coma, and death.

Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.

If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center - 24-hour service available throughout North America.

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435). $65.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card.

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Pet Poison Helpline - 24-hour service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.

1-800-213-6680 ($59.00 per incident). Staffed 24-hours a day.

Updated 6/20/17

Click here for a pdf version of this article. 
Print Article | Email Article